The by-election on 7th September for this County Council ward follows the resignation of Graham Powell (Cons). Jeremy’s campaign leaflet will be hitting the streets very shortly. In it he says:
I’m a self-employed conservation archaeologist from Hereford with children at the Sixth Form College and the Steiner Academy. Locally I’m secretary of the Longtown & District Historical Society and lucky enough to have many friends here. Since I have no vested business or property interest in the ward, my concerns are purely for its people, and for this beautiful and ancient landscape. The Green Party stands for social justice, fairness, equality and care for environment that we may live in happiness together.
If elected I would work hard for:
- the four parish groups in the Ward (Abbey Dore, Ewyas Harold, Longtown and Vowchurch) with the implementation of their Neighbourhood Plans
- decent broadband coverage especially in Craswall and St Margarets where many businesses are still disadvantaged by slow speeds
- affordable housing for local people, enabled perhaps by setting up a Ewyas charitable trust as a means of sharing skills and resources within the community
- hill farmers concerned about their livelihoods in a post-Brexit world and the opportunities for sustainable diversification
- our excellent local primary schools, outdoor education and the Mountain Rescue Centre
- the life of our landscapes and wildlife and the conservation of the historic places we love — especially of our castles, places of worship and our public houses (not necessarily in that order!)
tel 01432 357085 mob 07779 034457
This is a great opportunity to strengthen Green Party representation on the County Council. If you can help in any way with the campaign, please get in touch.